IN ST COLUMBA'S PARISH
The Parish Office is open Wednesday and Thursday 10am to 12noon by appointment. Please phone - 01494 785269 - or email to check availability at other times. The email address for any general enquiries and information relating to the Parish is firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on an underlined item to open a particular document
Third Sunday of Advent Year C
16 December 2018
Mass at 9am and 6pm
Mass said in Italian at 12:30
Pastoral Area Advent Booklet - Please take a copy with you after Mass.
The booklet details all the Masses for Christmas Day for the Pastoral Area.
Christmas Mass Times
Monday 24 December Children's Christmas Vigil
5pm at the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Great Missenden
Monday 24 December
Carols and Christmas Vigil ('Midnight Mass')
10pm at St Columba's
Tuesday 25 December
Christmas Day - Mass at 9am at St Columba's
Christmas Day - Mass at 11am at Immaculate Heart of Mary
To receive the E-Newsletter each week, just send “I want to receive the Newsletter” to: email@example.com. Opt-out the same way. Elements to include in the newsletter (short texts ready to publish / image) must be sent before Thursday Noon to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Christmas Market at Immuclate Heart of Mary
Join us on the 18th of December
at Immaculate Heart of Mary in Great Missenden at 8pm
for a joyful Christmas Market in support of the Ecuadorian Mission to our parishes
sing along Christmas Carols followed by mulled wine and mince pies in the church hall.
We are waiting for you!
Open your Heart to Mary this Advent
7:30-9pm at IHM, Great Missenden on 6, 13 and 20 December
For more details please see poster on the church noticeboard
The Red Boxes will be collected before Christmas. Please turn the box over and put your name on the label.
If you prefer to bring the box to church, there are boxes there to be collected, in exchange, should you wish to continue with your gifts. PLEASE let me know on 786846, if you prefer not to have a box any longer. Tina Pearce
SAVE THE 2019 DATES !
Youth to 'Flame' @ Wembley stadium : 2 March
Taize Prayer evening : 29 March, 7.30pm
Youth Trip to Taize, France : 6 -13 April
Youth Fest’19 with young Ecuadorian missionaries : 29 June
First Holy Communion 2019
The First Holy Communion Celebration will be on 18th May 2019 at 11am
BAPTISM PREPARATION COURSE
The Baptismal Preparation courses will be at IHM, Great Missenden after the 11.00 am Mass and will run in February, May and August. Please speak to Fr Alessandro, Dcn Peter or Dcn David to apply to join or for further information.
The Pastoral Area of the Venerable Mary Ward, comprising the parishes of Immaculate Heart of Mary, Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, St Aidan’s, St Columba’s and St Joseph’s invite all parents of Year 9 children for
further information please contact Deacon Peter Collins through our parish office.
CHILDREN YOUTH AND FAMILY CHOIR
We meet every Thursday 6:30-7:30pm
New members very welcome to come along - anyone (of any age!) who feels ‘young at heart’ - and join in with the singing.
COME AND DANCE FLAMENCO !
on Tuesdays in the Church Hall at 8pm
The new group is on Thursdays from 10:15 to 11:30am in the Church Hall. If you would like to join please contact Pippa Heath via the parish office.
Parish Pilgrimage to Rome May 2019
For St Columba's and Immaculate Heart of Mary from Monday 6 to Sunday 12 May 2019 is fully booked.
Vocations to the Priesthood
Northampton Diocese will be hosting a weekend for those men considering the Vocation to the Priesthood.
This will be held at the Cathedral from Friday 14th December – Sunday 16th December.
If you are interested please contact the Cathedral Parish Office on 01604 714556 or speak to Fr Mark.
Please continue to pray for Vocations to the Priesthood!
A date for your diary
The Diocese of Northampton is first for the Dowry Tour of Our Lady of Walsingham in 2019!
Thursday February 7th to Saturday February 9th 2019 in the Cathedral
Church of Our Lady & St. Thomas. Further details to follow.
Our Diocese would like to keep you up to date with the latest news and information from Bishop Peter, the curial departments, our Catholic Cathedral in Northampton and our whole diocese. Each month you can receive this information through an e-newsletter. To subscribe simply visit the diocesan website, www.northamptondiocese.org and enter your email address in the box in the top right hand corner of the page
Usual Ordinary Weekday Mass Times See details on the Mass Times page
The Catholic community at St Columba's has held regular parish events. Some examples from the past include:
- August 2018 Mission to Ecuador
- July 2018 Bishop Peter celebrates Mass of Thanksgiving and Blessing of the Mission to Ecuador later in the month.
- YouthFest '18 - June 2018 saw the first Pastoral Area youth event in the paddoock behind Our Lady's Church. All the five parishes took park and enjoyed games, BBQ, live music and great company.
- Parsh Fair on the Feast of St Columba June 2018 including Mass, Certificates for the First Holy Communicants, Enrolement into the Altar Servers Guild, Celebrating 10 years of Altar Serving, recognising the parish Catechists.
- 'A Musical Christmas' the choirs of St Columba and the Immaculate Heart of Mary parishes joined together for an evening of musical entertainment, eclectic mix of Christmas carols, songs and show tunes.
- Parish Assembly 1 October 2017 - whole day event. Parishioners looked at how the parish can fulfill it's mission from a pastoral, liturgical and practical perspective.
- July 2017 Mass of Thanksgiving for the Parish and Parish party at St Columba's House.
- Parish Fun Day, 12 June 2017, to celebrate the Parishes Patronal Feast of St Columba. See report and pictures by clicking here
- Parish Assembly 29 January 2017 - whole day event. Over 100 people joined the Assembly and looked at how the parish can fulfill it's mission from a pastoral, liturgical and practical perspective. This exciting initiative will be followed up during the year.
- Induction of Father Alessandor Reno as priest in charge on Thursday 13 October 2016 in the presence of the Dean, Father Michael Spain, representing Bishop Peter. Also in attendacne were Fr Andy Ollard, Deacon John Crowshaw and represntatives of Churches Together for Chesham. Father Alessandor made a profession of faith and an oath of fidelity.
- The 2016 Backpackers event, a Christian adventure for young people (5-11 years) run and supported by Churches Together in Chesham took place at the end of July. It offered the children of Chesham 4 days of great fun & excitement in a Christian environment; exposing the children to the great news of Jesus Christ and showing them that being a Christian is not dull! A great sucesss and sense of community.
- July 2016 Parish tea party at St Columba's House. Parishioners of all ages enjoyed a fantastic afternoon of food, fun, music and dancing.
- Mercy in Today's World a series fo talks celebrating the year of Mercy: 'A God of Mercy', 'A Church of Mercy', 'A Life of Mercy' June 2016.
- Churches Together for Chesham Lent Lectures 2016 - 'Living Today' given by national figures across 5 Wednesdays.
- The Magic Toyshop by Chesham Bois Catholic Players at the Elgiva Theatre 21 - 24 January 2016.
- Advent reflection on Thursday 17 December 2015 was a prayerful and restful experience. An evening of reflection and contemplative music in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. The focus was the Jubilee Year of Mercy and what we can learn from the love and grace of those with special needs.
- 'The Gift' - Life in the Spirit a series of talks aimed at people of all ages to help them encounter the Holy Spirit and empower them to share their faith on Wednesday evenings in November and early December 2015 at St Joseph, Gerrards Cross was a most moving and prayerful time.
- Christmas by Candlelight at 7pm on Saturday December 5 2015 at the Church was a great success. Bishop Peter was present and blessed the new organ. The evening of sacred and secular music and readings, some serious and some light-hearted, was presented by the choir, the youth music group and the youth choir. The readings were presented by parishioners. The Church was full and a sense of love, community and friendship was palpable.
A further £1,150 was raised bringing the total so far to about £9,000. Thank you so much - only £4,000 needed to reach the total required of £13,000.
- A murder mystery fund raising dinner
- Hog roast celebration
Catechism of the Catholic Church. A new edition of the Catechism with the latest liturgical translations which is easier to navigate and more affordable has been produced by the CTS. For more information go to www.ctsbooks.org/catechism.