IN ST COLUMBA'S PARISH
The Parish Office is open Wednesday and Thursday 10am to 12noon by appointment. Please phone - 01494 785269 - or email to check availability at other times. The email address for any general enquiries and information relating to the Parish is firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on an underlined item to open a particular document
6th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C
17 February 2019
Racial Justice Day
Mass at 9am and 6pm
The SVP welcome you to on an information meeting at 7.00 till 7.30pm on Thursday 21 February in the Church Hall to hear about thier work locally and internationally.
To receive the E-Newsletter each week, just send “I want to receive the Newsletter” to: email@example.com. Opt-out the same way. Elements to include in the newsletter (short texts ready to publish / image) must be sent before Thursday Noon to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fr Alessandro will be away from the parish from 11 to 19 February 2019 inclusive. Please check the newsletter for the times and days of services. The times of Masses across Pastoral Area are displayed in the Narthex and on the website.
If you need a Priest urgently during this time please contact Fr Michael Spain, the Pastoral Area Dean, on 01753 886581
REACHING OUT TO ECUADOR
Three parishes one family
When our missionaries to Ecuador came home they said to their surprise they had received far more from their new friends in Ecuador than they had given. How can we repay that gift of love and hospitality?
By welcoming missionaries from Ecuador into our parish lives:
- Will this solve poverty? No
- Will this repair earthquake damage? No
- Will this feed the hungry? No
Will this cement a lasting relationship between our three parishes and add to the store of love in the world? YES IT WILL
Some fresh news…
We have created 7 teams to organise the mission: Work, Housing, Meals, Transport, Activities, Fundraising and Communications.
The programme will include work in schools, parish buildings and parish life.
Our next fundraising event will be a Quiz Night at IHM on Saturday 2nd March, at 7.30pm. Tickets will be on sales soon and numbers are limited.
Lent Reflection evening
Wednesday 13 March 2019 at 8pm
An evening of Reflection, Exposition, Contemplative Music
"Lord, I have let myself be deceived; in a thousand ways I have shunned your love, yet here I am once more, to renew my covenant with you, I need you. Save me once again, Lord, take me once more into your redeeming embrace". From Pope Francis' Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii Gaudium
World Day of Prayer for Slovenia - Friday 1 March
at 2pm and 7:30pm at Trinity Baptist Church, Chesham
Catholic Basics… An Introduction to the Catholic Faith
A course providing a basic introduction to the Catholic Faith in four parts: God, The Church, The Moral Life and Prayer
Starts on Thursday 31 Jan 2019 10am–3pm.
To register or find out more information please contact email@example.com or see the registration form/poster on the notice board
CAFOD Supporters’ event – all warmly welcome
Hear about some of the hardest to reach most vulnerable communities in the world like those in Sierra Leone and Liberia and how your support is empowering them to overcome poverty.
Saturday 23 February
Our Lady Help of Christians, West Street, OLNEY, MK46 5HJ
10:15am – 2.30pm (coffee/tea from 10am with shared lunch from 1:30pm)
Please book a place - 01494 863 777 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth to 'Flame' @ Wembley stadium : 2 March
Flame - The Flame Congress gets bigger and even more amazing
every time, so you really don’t want to miss Flame2019
- What? The biggest Catholic youth event in England and Wales
- Who? Young people aged 12-18. We have 25 tickets; first come first served! Accompanied by Fr Mike Spain, Dcn Peter Collins and other adults
- When? Saturday 2nd March from 11am – 6pm
- Where? Meet with your parish group locally by 10am to arrive at venue by 11am Back at around 7 – 7.30pm, ask your parish organiser for exact details
- Cost? Only £10 + train fare, thanks to a generous donor! Pay parish by 20th February
- What do I need with me? Your oyster card or train fare and a packed lunch
- More information on the event? https://cymfed.org.uk/flame2019/
Click on the button to book your place
via our Pastoral Area online booking form
Held again at the SSE Arena, Wembley, on 2 March 2019
Flame2019 is likely to attract 10,000 young people from around the country, and is aimed primarily at school years 10-13.
The Bible Timeline (Version 2.0) is on at
the Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish
'The Story of Salvation' is a fascinating Bible study that will take you on a journey through the entire Bible story. Find out how the New Testament lies hidden in the Old and the Old Testament is unveiled in the New. IHM Damien Hall for 12 weeks starting Thursday Jan 10 at 7:30 - 9:30pm. For more information contact Clive Bird, Mob: 07989 381137 or Email: Clive@Ladybird.uk.com
First Holy Communion 2019
The First Holy Communion programme started on Saturday 12 January at 12noon at St Columba’s Hall. The FHC candidates were presented to the Parish at the Youth Mass which on Sunday 13 January at 6pm.
Please keep the children, parents and catechists in your prayers
The First Holy Communion Celebration will be on 18th May 2019 at 11am
SAVE THE 2019 DATES !
Youth to 'Flame' @ Wembley stadium : 2 March
Taize Prayer evening : 29 March, 7.30pm
Youth Trip to Taize, France : 6 -13 April
Youth Fest’19 with young Ecuadorian missionaries : 29 June
BAPTISM PREPARATION COURSE
The Baptismal Preparation courses will be at IHM, Great Missenden after the 11.00 am Mass and will run in February, May and August. Please speak to Fr Alessandro, Dcn Peter or Dcn David to apply to join, for further information or contact the parish office if you wish to attend email@example.com
The Pastoral Area of the Venerable Mary Ward, comprising the parishes of Immaculate Heart of Mary, Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, St Aidan’s, St Columba’s and St Joseph’s invite all parents of Year 9 children for further information please contact Deacon Peter Collins through our parish office.
CHILDREN YOUTH AND FAMILY CHOIR
We meet every Thursday 6:30-7:30pm
New members very welcome to come along - anyone (of any age!) who feels ‘young at heart’ - and join in with the singing.
COME AND DANCE FLAMENCO !
on Tuesdays in the Church Hall at 8pm
The new group is on Thursdays from 10:15 to 11:30am in the Church Hall. If you would like to join please contact Pippa Heath via the parish office.
Parish Pilgrimage to Rome May 2019
For St Columba's and Immaculate Heart of Mary from Monday 6 to Sunday 12 May 2019 is fully booked.
Vocation to the Priesthood
Northampton Diocese will be hosting a weekend for those men considering the Vocation to the Priesthood. This will be held at the Cathedral from Friday 22 March – Sunday 24 March. If you are interested please contact the Cathedral Parish Office on 01604 714556 or speak to Fr Mark Floody.
Our Diocese would like to keep you up to date with the latest news and information from Bishop Peter, the curial departments, our Catholic Cathedral in Northampton and our whole diocese. Each month you can receive this information through an e-newsletter. To subscribe simply visit the diocesan website, www.northamptondiocese.org and enter your email address in the box in the top right hand corner of the page
Praying with the Pope in February - Mission Intention
For a generous welcome of the victims of human trafficking, of enforced prostitution, and of violence.
Usual Ordinary Weekday Mass Times See details on the Mass Times page
The Catholic community at St Columba's has held regular parish events. Some examples from the past include:
- 'A Christmas Journey' - the choirs of St Columba and the Immaculate Heart of Mary parishes joined together to take us through the advent story to the joy of Jesus' birth. We met many familiar people on the way, through song, pictures and the spoken word, people like ourselves.We saw the joy of winter and of Father Christmas. We escaped from the worries of today and let joy fill our hearts.
- August 2018 Mission to Ecuador
- July 2018 Bishop Peter celebrates Mass of Thanksgiving and Blessing of the Mission to Ecuador later in the month.
- YouthFest '18 - June 2018 saw the first Pastoral Area youth event in the paddoock behind Our Lady's Church. All the five parishes took park and enjoyed games, BBQ, live music and great company.
- Parsh Fair on the Feast of St Columba June 2018 including Mass, Certificates for the First Holy Communicants, Enrolement into the Altar Servers Guild, Celebrating 10 years of Altar Serving, recognising the parish Catechists.
- 'A Musical Christmas' the choirs of St Columba and the Immaculate Heart of Mary parishes joined together for an evening of musical entertainment, eclectic mix of Christmas carols, songs and show tunes.
- Parish Assembly 1 October 2017 - whole day event. Parishioners looked at how the parish can fulfill it's mission from a pastoral, liturgical and practical perspective.
- July 2017 Mass of Thanksgiving for the Parish and Parish party at St Columba's House.
- Parish Fun Day, 12 June 2017, to celebrate the Parishes Patronal Feast of St Columba. See report and pictures by clicking here
- Parish Assembly 29 January 2017 - whole day event. Over 100 people joined the Assembly and looked at how the parish can fulfill it's mission from a pastoral, liturgical and practical perspective. This exciting initiative will be followed up during the year.
- Induction of Father Alessandor Reno as priest in charge on Thursday 13 October 2016 in the presence of the Dean, Father Michael Spain, representing Bishop Peter. Also in attendacne were Fr Andy Ollard, Deacon John Crowshaw and represntatives of Churches Together for Chesham. Father Alessandor made a profession of faith and an oath of fidelity.
- The 2016 Backpackers event, a Christian adventure for young people (5-11 years) run and supported by Churches Together in Chesham took place at the end of July. It offered the children of Chesham 4 days of great fun & excitement in a Christian environment; exposing the children to the great news of Jesus Christ and showing them that being a Christian is not dull! A great sucesss and sense of community.
- July 2016 Parish tea party at St Columba's House. Parishioners of all ages enjoyed a fantastic afternoon of food, fun, music and dancing.
- Mercy in Today's World a series fo talks celebrating the year of Mercy: 'A God of Mercy', 'A Church of Mercy', 'A Life of Mercy' June 2016.
- Churches Together for Chesham Lent Lectures 2016 - 'Living Today' given by national figures across 5 Wednesdays.
- The Magic Toyshop by Chesham Bois Catholic Players at the Elgiva Theatre 21 - 24 January 2016.
- Advent reflection on Thursday 17 December 2015 was a prayerful and restful experience. An evening of reflection and contemplative music in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. The focus was the Jubilee Year of Mercy and what we can learn from the love and grace of those with special needs.
- 'The Gift' - Life in the Spirit a series of talks aimed at people of all ages to help them encounter the Holy Spirit and empower them to share their faith on Wednesday evenings in November and early December 2015 at St Joseph, Gerrards Cross was a most moving and prayerful time.
- Christmas by Candlelight at 7pm on Saturday December 5 2015 at the Church was a great success. Bishop Peter was present and blessed the new organ. The evening of sacred and secular music and readings, some serious and some light-hearted, was presented by the choir, the youth music group and the youth choir. The readings were presented by parishioners. The Church was full and a sense of love, community and friendship was palpable.
A further £1,150 was raised bringing the total so far to about £9,000. Thank you so much - only £4,000 needed to reach the total required of £13,000.
- A murder mystery fund raising dinner
- Hog roast celebration
Catechism of the Catholic Church. A new edition of the Catechism with the latest liturgical translations which is easier to navigate and more affordable has been produced by the CTS. For more information go to www.ctsbooks.org/catechism.