IN ST COLUMBA'S PARISH
The Parish Office is open Wednesday and Thursday 10am to 12noon by appointment. Please phone - 01494 785269 - or email to check availability at other times. The email address for any general enquiries and information relating to the Parish is firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on an underlined item to open a particular document
14 Sunday of Year C
7 July 2019
Mass at 9am and 6pm
To receive the E-Newsletter each week, just send “I want to receive the Newsletter” to: email@example.com. Opt-out the same way. Elements to include in the newsletter (short texts ready to publish / image) must be sent before Thursday Noon to: firstname.lastname@example.org
GRACIAS MISIONEROS Y HASTA LUEGO!
During the closing Mass of our Mission presided by our Vicar General Mgr Sean Healey, last Sunday in St Columba's, we had the joy of hosting the Mayor Mr Qaesar Chaudhary and his family, the Imam of the Chesham Mosque Arif Hussain with his son Hussain, the reppresentative of the Jewish Community Mr Toby Grinder, and the Mayor of High Wycombe Mr Mazamel Hussain. It is a miracle of God's love to breathe air of unity, peace and communion in our present time, not looking at differences but abandoning ourselves to acceptance, opening our hearts to trust.
Three parishes one family
The road to the Diaconate - Gerard Felix and Lanre Sanni
Gerard and Lanre have completed the first year of prayer, contemplation and study on their journey to become Permanent Deacons. The next step is for Bishop Peter to institute Gerard and Lanre, into the Ministry of Reader. This is taking place on Thursday 11 July at 7:30pm at St Anthony of Padua Catholic Church, Farnham Road, Slough SL2 3AE. All are welcome to attend.
On Saturday 13 July, Eric Kerr will be ordained to the Permanent Deaconate. Please keep in your prayers Erik, Lanre and Gerard.
Four Mikes on Bikes Fr Michael Spain and 3 other Mikes
are cycling to the Vatican to raise money for the London Run
which takes food to London & Slough weekly.
Donations towards this worthwhile initiative can be made via
Nurse Volunteer needed – for a locally based (HCPT) pilgrimage group, offering annual adult pilgrimage holidays to Lourdes. Our pilgrims are mostly local, some being ill or disabled. The current group nurse is retiring from nursing.
Do you know of, or are you, a registered nurse, who could travel with us this year from 20 to 27 September?
We have a wider group of loyal helpers, our current nurse will be there for guidance, and although your medical skillset is critical, the nursing duties are minimal. All your travel and full board accommodation costs will be paid. So if you would be able to help, or would like to know more, please contact Mike Drake (0791 9991737, email email@example.com), or John Wolff, (01494-785496, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Backpackers 2019 - w/c 29 July 2019
The website has been updated please see the new look at
Application forms are now live. Volunteers needed for some key roles - Site Manager, Minipacker leader, Performing Zone leader, Cafe assitant leader - please see the backpackers website for more details.
As part of the insurance requirements the volunteers are need to cover the Backpackers site. All Churches provide “security” volunteers for the week. Two people cover timed sessions on a rota basis. Our sessions are:
Sunday 28 16:00 Sunday 28 21:00
Sunday 28 21:00 Monday 29 00:00
Monday 29 00:00 Monday 29 06:00
Monday 29 06:00 Monday 29 08:30
Please contact email@example.com if you can help help. Thank you!
BAPTISM PREPARATION COURSE
The Baptismal Preparation courses will be at IHM, Great Missenden after the 11.00 am Mass and will run in September. Please speak to Fr Alessandro, Dcn Peter or Dcn David to apply to join, for further information or contact the parish office if you wish to attend firstname.lastname@example.org
REGISTRATION – First Holy Communion NOW OPEN
If you are interested please collect a form at the back of the church or download it here documents/fhc-2020-registration-formv1.pdf and return it (together with a photocopy of your child’s Baptismal Certificate, unless baptised in this church) to the parish office. Registrations will close on 31 October 2019. The first introductory session will be on Saturday 23 November and the children will be officially presented to the parish on Sunday 24 November during the 6pm Mass. For further information please contact: email@example.com
CHILDREN YOUTH AND FAMILY CHOIR
We meet every Thursday 6:30-7:30pm
New members very welcome to come along - anyone (of any age!) who feels ‘young at heart’ - and join in with the singing.
COME AND DANCE FLAMENCO !
on Tuesdays in the Church Hall at 8pm
Toddler Group runs every Thursday morning from 10:15am to 11:30 am. All babies and pre-school children and their carers are welcome. We are short of helpers at the moment so if any one would like to help out please let Pippa know via the parish secretary firstname.lastname@example.org.
We break for the Summer Holidays on Thursday 18th July and are looking for new helpers to run the group from the autumn term as the regular organiser is moving away from the area. For further information please e-mail Pippa Heath at email@example.com
Chesham Community Fridge
We are delighted that the project is being so successful; and already we have distributed over 14 tonnes of good food that would otherwise have been thrown away. Just a few weeks ago, the Fridge Team won the Mayoral Award for Volunteer Team. Because of the success of the project we are in need of more volunteers. There's a wide variety of ways to help, including picking up food, manning the Fridge shifts, cleaning and administration. We see the Fridge as a way of reaching out to the community, sharing the love of Jesus with the people and providing wholesome, fresh produce to anyone who can use it, but also helping those who struggle to put food on the table for their families. Our feedback tells us the food is really appreciated and after each shift there's almost nothing left. Would you be able to give some time to help us? There would be a short orientation session in the town, and some very straightforward online training in Food Safety, which only takes an hour or two. The more volunteers we have, the less there is for a few to do. If you feel able to offer, or have a question, please let us know via our Facebook page (search 'Chesham Community Fridge') or email Gill Marris at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mass for victims and survivors of abuse, their families and supporters
at St Mary’s in Woburn Sands at 12 noon on 12 October 2019
All victims and survivors of abuse, their families and supporters are invited. The focus will be on healing, reconciliation and the forming of compassionate links with the Church.
There will be light refreshments after the Mass.
Individual meetings for victims and survivors, families and supporters with Bishop Peter who is offering to meet with victims and survivors, their families and supporters will commence from May 2019 and continue on a bimonthly basis.
For more details or to book a meeting with the Bishop, contact the safeguarding office on: 01604 723514.
Our Diocese would like to keep you up to date with the latest news and information from Bishop Peter, the curial departments, our Catholic Cathedral in Northampton and our whole diocese. Each month you can receive this information through an e-newsletter. To subscribe simply visit the diocesan website, www.northamptondiocese.org and enter your email address in the box in the top right hand corner of the page
Praying with the Pope in July - Mission Intention
That those who administer justice may work with integrity, and
that the injustice which prevails in the world may not
have the last word.
Usual Ordinary Weekday Mass Times See details on the Mass Times page
The Catholic community at St Columba's has held regular parish events. Some examples from the past include:
- 'A Christmas Journey' - the choirs of St Columba and the Immaculate Heart of Mary parishes joined together to take us through the advent story to the joy of Jesus' birth. We met many familiar people on the way, through song, pictures and the spoken word, people like ourselves.We saw the joy of winter and of Father Christmas. We escaped from the worries of today and let joy fill our hearts.
- August 2018 Mission to Ecuador
- July 2018 Bishop Peter celebrates Mass of Thanksgiving and Blessing of the Mission to Ecuador later in the month.
- YouthFest '18 - June 2018 saw the first Pastoral Area youth event in the paddoock behind Our Lady's Church. All the five parishes took park and enjoyed games, BBQ, live music and great company.
- Parsh Fair on the Feast of St Columba June 2018 including Mass, Certificates for the First Holy Communicants, Enrolement into the Altar Servers Guild, Celebrating 10 years of Altar Serving, recognising the parish Catechists.
- 'A Musical Christmas' the choirs of St Columba and the Immaculate Heart of Mary parishes joined together for an evening of musical entertainment, eclectic mix of Christmas carols, songs and show tunes.
- Parish Assembly 1 October 2017 - whole day event. Parishioners looked at how the parish can fulfill it's mission from a pastoral, liturgical and practical perspective.
- July 2017 Mass of Thanksgiving for the Parish and Parish party at St Columba's House.
- Parish Fun Day, 12 June 2017, to celebrate the Parishes Patronal Feast of St Columba. See report and pictures by clicking here
- Parish Assembly 29 January 2017 - whole day event. Over 100 people joined the Assembly and looked at how the parish can fulfill it's mission from a pastoral, liturgical and practical perspective. This exciting initiative will be followed up during the year.
- Induction of Father Alessandor Reno as priest in charge on Thursday 13 October 2016 in the presence of the Dean, Father Michael Spain, representing Bishop Peter. Also in attendacne were Fr Andy Ollard, Deacon John Crowshaw and represntatives of Churches Together for Chesham. Father Alessandor made a profession of faith and an oath of fidelity.
- The 2016 Backpackers event, a Christian adventure for young people (5-11 years) run and supported by Churches Together in Chesham took place at the end of July. It offered the children of Chesham 4 days of great fun & excitement in a Christian environment; exposing the children to the great news of Jesus Christ and showing them that being a Christian is not dull! A great sucesss and sense of community.
- July 2016 Parish tea party at St Columba's House. Parishioners of all ages enjoyed a fantastic afternoon of food, fun, music and dancing.
- Mercy in Today's World a series fo talks celebrating the year of Mercy: 'A God of Mercy', 'A Church of Mercy', 'A Life of Mercy' June 2016.
- Churches Together for Chesham Lent Lectures 2016 - 'Living Today' given by national figures across 5 Wednesdays.
- The Magic Toyshop by Chesham Bois Catholic Players at the Elgiva Theatre 21 - 24 January 2016.
- Advent reflection on Thursday 17 December 2015 was a prayerful and restful experience. An evening of reflection and contemplative music in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. The focus was the Jubilee Year of Mercy and what we can learn from the love and grace of those with special needs.
- 'The Gift' - Life in the Spirit a series of talks aimed at people of all ages to help them encounter the Holy Spirit and empower them to share their faith on Wednesday evenings in November and early December 2015 at St Joseph, Gerrards Cross was a most moving and prayerful time.
- Christmas by Candlelight at 7pm on Saturday December 5 2015 at the Church was a great success. Bishop Peter was present and blessed the new organ. The evening of sacred and secular music and readings, some serious and some light-hearted, was presented by the choir, the youth music group and the youth choir. The readings were presented by parishioners. The Church was full and a sense of love, community and friendship was palpable.
A further £1,150 was raised bringing the total so far to about £9,000. Thank you so much - only £4,000 needed to reach the total required of £13,000.
- A murder mystery fund raising dinner
- Hog roast celebration
Catechism of the Catholic Church. A new edition of the Catechism with the latest liturgical translations which is easier to navigate and more affordable has been produced by the CTS. For more information go to www.ctsbooks.org/catechism.