IN ST COLUMBA'S PARISH
The Parish Office is open Wednesday and Thursday 10am to 12noon by appointment. Please phone - 01494 785269 - or email to check availability at other times. The email address for any general enquiries and information relating to the Parish is firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on an underlined item to open a particular document
11 Sunday of the year - Year B
17 June 2018
Mass at 9am and 6pm
17 June 2018 Day for Life: Human Trafficking
Pope Francis has sent a special message to Catholics in England and Wales asking them to break the chains of captivity of those who have been trafficked and to “bring comfort to those who have survived such inhumanity.”
Day for Life is the day in the Church’s year dedicated to raising awareness about the meaning and value of human life at every stage and in every condition.
THE IMMACULATE HEART
OF MARY / ST COLUMBA
TEAM WHO WON THE INAUGARAL
To receive the E-Newsletter each week, just send “I want to receive the Newsletter” to: email@example.com. Opt-out the same way. Elements to include in the newsletter (short texts ready to publish / image) must be sent before Thursday Noon to: firstname.lastname@example.org
June is a Month of Prayer for our Vocations to ministry in the Church - priesthood, diaconate, lay ministries. On 8 June we celebrate with Bishop Peter his fiftieth anniversary of priestly ordination, and with those other priests who celebrate their jubilees this year.
CHAT & A CUPPA, Saturday 23 June, 2.30pm
Meet up with other parishioners upstairs at Chesham's M&Co cafe for a chat. All welcome.
SUMMER REFLECTION DAY 30th June
at the Monastery of Christ Our Saviour, Turvey, MK438DH
‘TALKING OF LOVE’
Booking is essential as places are limited:
or ring 01582723312.
CHILDREN AND FAMILY CHOIR
We meet every Thursday 6:30-7:30pm
New members very welcome to come along and join in with the singing.
BIBLE REFLECTION GROUP
COME AS YOU ARE!
Join the Group and deepen the reflection on Sunday’s readings, every Monday at 7.30pm in the Church
“And the Word was with God, and the Word was God”
SAVE THE DATE!
Mass of Thanksgiving and Blessing of the Ecuador Mission. Bishop Peter will be celebrating Mass at 7:30pm at St Columba's on Wednesday 11th July. All welcome to attend. There will be some light refreshments served after the Mass in the Presbytery Garden. If you would like to help with the refreshments please contact the parish office email@example.com
COME AND DANCE FLAMENCO !
on Tuesdays in the Church Hall at 8pm
Dates for your diary
Parish Pilgrimage to Rome May 2019
We're planning this pilgrimage for St Columba's and Immaculate Heart of Mary from Monday 6 to Sunday 12 May 2019. Further information will be published in early June: please check your plans and register your interest now to either of our parish secretaries or to Joanna Hale so that she can forward you the details when they're finalised. firstname.lastname@example.org
MEETING JESUS IN THE GOSPEL OF JOHN
An 8-week Bible study course
at St Joseph’s, Chalfont St Peter
This course will guide you through John’s Gospel and invite you to encounter Christ every step of the way.
It will run on Wednesday evenings starting 2 May at 7:45pm for 8pm and on Thursdayb mornings starting on 3 May at 9:30am.
To register, please contact St Joseph’s Parish Office (email@example.com or 01753 886581) & sign up. Payment of £20 per person must be made by Wednesday 18 April
Volunteer(s) need to manage the Repository stall, stock ordering and being available after Mass to help with queries or sales. Please contact the parish office or Fr Alessandro if you wouldlike to find out more or help. Many thanks
Backpackers is all about offering the children of Chesham 4 days of great fun & excitement in a Christian environment:
WHEN – Tuesday 31st July to Friday 3rd August 10am – 3.30pm
WHERE – Thomas Harding School, Germain Street, Chesham
WHO FOR – Children aged 5 to 11 (up to School Year 6)
WHO BY - Organised and supported by Churches Together for Chesham
Volunteer and Children's Application Forms are available on the Backpacker website www.backpackers-online.org.uk
Children's Application Forms have also gone in Children's school book bags as normal in May.
For further information please contact Naomi Butler or Rosemary Ryan-Bundhun at firstname.lastname@example.org
WORLD MEETING OF FAMILIES – DUBLIN
In August 2018, Pope Francis will be visiting Dublin, Ireland for the World Meeting of Families. NYMO are inviting young adults aged 16-30yrs to be a part of this amazing opportunity. If you are interested and for more information, please email email@example.com or call 01582 720627.
Parish Youth Liaison Worker (Full Time)
We are currently recruiting for a Parish Youth Liaison Worker to join our youth office, NYMO. The closing date for applications will be Monday 25 June 2018.
Marriage and Family Life Project Worker
(15 hours per week – 2 year fixed term contract)
We are currently recruiting for a Marriage and Family Life Project Worker to develop Catholic Marriage Preparation in the diocese. The closing date for applications will be Monday 16t July 2018.
Our Diocese would like to keep you up to date with the latest news and information from Bishop Peter, the curial departments, our Catholic Cathedral in Northampton and our whole diocese. Each month you can receive this information through an e-newsletter. To subscribe simply visit the diocesan website, www.northamptondiocese.org and enter your email address in the box in the top right hand corner of the page
National Justice and Peace Network Annual Conference
20 –22nd July 2018
The Hayes Conference Centre
More details on notice board or
Sign up sheets will be available in the Narthex after Easter. You are warmly invited to participate for 1 day o rmore.
We recommend you the new book of Cardinal Vincent Nichols "Faith finding a voice": an exploration of the presence of God in our lives.
Usual Ordinary Weekday Mass Times See details on the Mass Times page
The Catholic community at St Columba's has held regular parish events. Some examples from the past include:
- Parsh Fair on the Feast of St Columba June 2018 including Mass, Certificates for the First Holy Communicants, Enrolement into the Altar Servers Guild, Celebrating 10 years of Altar Serving, recognising the parish Catechists.
- 'A Musical Christmas' the choirs of St Columba and the Immaculate Heart of Mary parishes joined together for an evening of musical entertainment, eclectic mix of Christmas carols, songs and show tunes.
- Parish Assembly 1 October 2017 - whole day event. Parishioners looked at how the parish can fulfill it's mission from a pastoral, liturgical and practical perspective.
- July 2017 Mass of Thanksgiving for the Parish and Parish party at St Columba's House.
- Parish Fun Day, 12 June 2017, to celebrate the Parishes Patronal Feast of St Columba. See report and pictures by clicking here
- Parish Assembly 29 January 2017 - whole day event. Over 100 people joined the Assembly and looked at how the parish can fulfill it's mission from a pastoral, liturgical and practical perspective. This exciting initiative will be followed up during the year.
- Induction of Father Alessandor Reno as priest in charge on Thursday 13 October 2016 in the presence of the Dean, Father Michael Spain, representing Bishop Peter. Also in attendacne were Fr Andy Ollard, Deacon John Crowshaw and represntatives of Churches Together for Chesham. Father Alessandor made a profession of faith and an oath of fidelity.
- The 2016 Backpackers event, a Christian adventure for young people (5-11 years) run and supported by Churches Together in Chesham took place at the end of July. It offered the children of Chesham 4 days of great fun & excitement in a Christian environment; exposing the children to the great news of Jesus Christ and showing them that being a Christian is not dull! A great sucesss and sense of community.
- July 2016 Parish tea party at St Columba's House. Parishioners of all ages enjoyed a fantastic afternoon of food, fun, music and dancing.
- Mercy in Today's World a series fo talks celebrating the year of Mercy: 'A God of Mercy', 'A Church of Mercy', 'A Life of Mercy' June 2016.
- Churches Together for Chesham Lent Lectures 2016 - 'Living Today' given by national figures across 5 Wednesdays.
- The Magic Toyshop by Chesham Bois Catholic Players at the Elgiva Theatre 21 - 24 January 2016.
- Advent reflection on Thursday 17 December 2015 was a prayerful and restful experience. An evening of reflection and contemplative music in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. The focus was the Jubilee Year of Mercy and what we can learn from the love and grace of those with special needs.
- 'The Gift' - Life in the Spirit a series of talks aimed at people of all ages to help them encounter the Holy Spirit and empower them to share their faith on Wednesday evenings in November and early December 2015 at St Joseph, Gerrards Cross was a most moving and prayerful time.
- Christmas by Candlelight at 7pm on Saturday December 5 2015 at the Church was a great success. Bishop Peter was present and blessed the new organ. The evening of sacred and secular music and readings, some serious and some light-hearted, was presented by the choir, the youth music group and the youth choir. The readings were presented by parishioners. The Church was full and a sense of love, community and friendship was palpable.
A further £1,150 was raised bringing the total so far to about £9,000. Thank you so much - only £4,000 needed to reach the total required of £13,000.
- A murder mystery fund raising dinner
- Hog roast celebration
Catechism of the Catholic Church. A new edition of the Catechism with the latest liturgical translations which is easier to navigate and more affordable has been produced by the CTS. For more information go to www.ctsbooks.org/catechism.