IN ST COLUMBA'S PARISH
The Parish Office is open Wednesday and Thursday 10am to 12noon by appointment. Please phone - 01494 785269 - or email to check availability at other times. The email address for any general enquiries and information relating to the Parish is firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on an underlined item to open a particular document
21 April 2019
Holy Saturday 20 April - Easter Vigil 10pm
Easter Sunday 21 April - Mass at 9am
NO 6PM MASS ON EASTER SUNDAY
To receive the E-Newsletter each week, just send “I want to receive the Newsletter” to: email@example.com. Opt-out the same way. Elements to include in the newsletter (short texts ready to publish / image) must be sent before Thursday Noon to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday 27 April 2:30pm - Chat and a Cuppa
meet other parishioners
upstairs at Chesham's M&Co cafe
THE ACTS OF THE APOSTLES
Fr Matt Blake OCD will present a short four session course which will enable participants to deepen their understanding of the context, meaning, significance and messages in this Book of Scripture written by St Luke.
The sessions will run at St Joseph's SL9 8RY on Wednesday evenings 1, 8, 15 and 22 May at 7:45pm or Thursday mornings 2, 9, 16 and 23 May at 9:30am.
The course is free but please contact the Parish Office on 01753 886581 or via email at email@example.com to sign up by Tuesday, 30 April.
Plant Sale on Saturday 4th May
9.00 - 11.30am
Plant donations welcome. Please provide any spare small plant pots as soon as possible to enable plants to be pot up early to get them established for the sale.
Fundraising Cream Tea and Book Sale
organised by St Columba's Union of Catholic Mothers
Saturday 11th May 2pm-4.30pm
Temperance Hall, Church, Street, Chesham.
Tickets on sale after mass 24 March or via
firstname.lastname@example.org £5 per person or £15 per family (max 4).
Money is being raised to help the homelessness charity Providence Row.
Take someone special out they would make a perfect gift to give for Mothers Day too.
REACHING OUT TO ECUADOR
Click on the picture above for updates on this exciting project
Three parishes one family
When our missionaries to Ecuador came home they said to their surprise they had received far more from their new friends in Ecuador than they had given. How can we repay that gift of love and hospitality?
By welcoming missionaries from Ecuador into our parish lives:
- Will this solve poverty? No
- Will this repair earthquake damage? No
- Will this feed the hungry? No
Will this cement a lasting relationship between our three parishes and add to the store of love in the world? YES IT WILL
Some fresh news…
We have created 7 teams to organise the mission: Work, Housing, Meals, Transport, Activities, Fundraising and Communications.
The programme will include work in schools, parish buildings and parish life.
Backpackers 2019 - w/c 29 July 2019
The website has been updated please see the new look at
Application forms for helpers will go live in the next few days. Application forms for children will follow in a few weeks.
We are making a change this year to accept children on a first come, first served basis, so when they go live, please do apply early.
First Holy Communion 2019
The First Holy Communion programme started on Saturday 12 January at 12noon at St Columba’s Hall. The FHC candidates were presented to the Parish at the Youth Mass which on Sunday 13 January at 6pm.
Please keep the children, parents and catechists in your prayers
The First Holy Communion Celebration will be on 18th May 2019 at 11am
BAPTISM PREPARATION COURSE
The Baptismal Preparation courses will be at IHM, Great Missenden after the 11.00 am Mass and will run in May and August. Please speak to Fr Alessandro, Dcn Peter or Dcn David to apply to join, for further information or contact the parish office if you wish to attend email@example.com
The Pastoral Area of the Venerable Mary Ward, comprising the parishes of Immaculate Heart of Mary, Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, St Aidan’s, St Columba’s and St Joseph’s invite all parents of Year 9 children for further information please contact Deacon Peter Collins through our parish office.
CHILDREN YOUTH AND FAMILY CHOIR
We meet every Thursday 6:30-7:30pm
New members very welcome to come along - anyone (of any age!) who feels ‘young at heart’ - and join in with the singing.
COME AND DANCE FLAMENCO !
on Tuesdays in the Church Hall at 8pm
Toddler Group runs every Thursday morning from 10:15am to 11:30 am. All babies and pre-school children and their carers are welcome. We are short of helpers at the moment so if any one would like to help out please let Pippa know via the parish secretary firstname.lastname@example.org.
We break for the Easter Holidays on Thursday 4th April and meet again on April 25th. But please note there is no session on March 28th.
Parish Pilgrimage to Rome May 2019
For St Columba's and Immaculate Heart of Mary from Monday 6 to Sunday 12 May 2019 is fully booked.
Vacancy Parish Youth Minister – Bedford – Full Time
We are delighted to advertise the role of Catholic Parish Youth Minister in the parishes of Ss Philip and James and Holy Cross, Bedford. This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a practising Catholic, with the right skills and experiences, to support and develop local young people in their faith and relationship with their parish. Full details of the role can be found by visiting www.northamptondiocese.org/vacancies or calling the diocesan HR Advisor on 01604 714840. The closing date for applications will be 3 May 2019.
Catholic Marriage & Relationship Enrichment Day
We will be holding a Marriage Enrichment Day Saturday 15 June 10am-4pm at Our Lady of Grace R.C. Church, High Wycombe HP12 4RY.
Focus on your relationship – enjoy a day together, enriching your life as a couple and perhaps consider mentoring engaged couples in your parish.
There is no charge for the day, drinks will be provided but please bring a packed lunch!
One of the aims for the days is to encourage suitable couples (married at least five years) to consider becoming marriage preparation mentors. Pleaseemail email@example.com to book a place!
Our Diocese would like to keep you up to date with the latest news and information from Bishop Peter, the curial departments, our Catholic Cathedral in Northampton and our whole diocese. Each month you can receive this information through an e-newsletter. To subscribe simply visit the diocesan website, www.northamptondiocese.org and enter your email address in the box in the top right hand corner of the page
Praying with the Pope in April - Mission Intention
For doctors and thier humanitarian collaborators in war zones, who risk their lives to save the lives of others,
Usual Ordinary Weekday Mass Times See details on the Mass Times page
The Catholic community at St Columba's has held regular parish events. Some examples from the past include:
- 'A Christmas Journey' - the choirs of St Columba and the Immaculate Heart of Mary parishes joined together to take us through the advent story to the joy of Jesus' birth. We met many familiar people on the way, through song, pictures and the spoken word, people like ourselves.We saw the joy of winter and of Father Christmas. We escaped from the worries of today and let joy fill our hearts.
- August 2018 Mission to Ecuador
- July 2018 Bishop Peter celebrates Mass of Thanksgiving and Blessing of the Mission to Ecuador later in the month.
- YouthFest '18 - June 2018 saw the first Pastoral Area youth event in the paddoock behind Our Lady's Church. All the five parishes took park and enjoyed games, BBQ, live music and great company.
- Parsh Fair on the Feast of St Columba June 2018 including Mass, Certificates for the First Holy Communicants, Enrolement into the Altar Servers Guild, Celebrating 10 years of Altar Serving, recognising the parish Catechists.
- 'A Musical Christmas' the choirs of St Columba and the Immaculate Heart of Mary parishes joined together for an evening of musical entertainment, eclectic mix of Christmas carols, songs and show tunes.
- Parish Assembly 1 October 2017 - whole day event. Parishioners looked at how the parish can fulfill it's mission from a pastoral, liturgical and practical perspective.
- July 2017 Mass of Thanksgiving for the Parish and Parish party at St Columba's House.
- Parish Fun Day, 12 June 2017, to celebrate the Parishes Patronal Feast of St Columba. See report and pictures by clicking here
- Parish Assembly 29 January 2017 - whole day event. Over 100 people joined the Assembly and looked at how the parish can fulfill it's mission from a pastoral, liturgical and practical perspective. This exciting initiative will be followed up during the year.
- Induction of Father Alessandor Reno as priest in charge on Thursday 13 October 2016 in the presence of the Dean, Father Michael Spain, representing Bishop Peter. Also in attendacne were Fr Andy Ollard, Deacon John Crowshaw and represntatives of Churches Together for Chesham. Father Alessandor made a profession of faith and an oath of fidelity.
- The 2016 Backpackers event, a Christian adventure for young people (5-11 years) run and supported by Churches Together in Chesham took place at the end of July. It offered the children of Chesham 4 days of great fun & excitement in a Christian environment; exposing the children to the great news of Jesus Christ and showing them that being a Christian is not dull! A great sucesss and sense of community.
- July 2016 Parish tea party at St Columba's House. Parishioners of all ages enjoyed a fantastic afternoon of food, fun, music and dancing.
- Mercy in Today's World a series fo talks celebrating the year of Mercy: 'A God of Mercy', 'A Church of Mercy', 'A Life of Mercy' June 2016.
- Churches Together for Chesham Lent Lectures 2016 - 'Living Today' given by national figures across 5 Wednesdays.
- The Magic Toyshop by Chesham Bois Catholic Players at the Elgiva Theatre 21 - 24 January 2016.
- Advent reflection on Thursday 17 December 2015 was a prayerful and restful experience. An evening of reflection and contemplative music in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. The focus was the Jubilee Year of Mercy and what we can learn from the love and grace of those with special needs.
- 'The Gift' - Life in the Spirit a series of talks aimed at people of all ages to help them encounter the Holy Spirit and empower them to share their faith on Wednesday evenings in November and early December 2015 at St Joseph, Gerrards Cross was a most moving and prayerful time.
- Christmas by Candlelight at 7pm on Saturday December 5 2015 at the Church was a great success. Bishop Peter was present and blessed the new organ. The evening of sacred and secular music and readings, some serious and some light-hearted, was presented by the choir, the youth music group and the youth choir. The readings were presented by parishioners. The Church was full and a sense of love, community and friendship was palpable.
A further £1,150 was raised bringing the total so far to about £9,000. Thank you so much - only £4,000 needed to reach the total required of £13,000.
- A murder mystery fund raising dinner
- Hog roast celebration
Catechism of the Catholic Church. A new edition of the Catechism with the latest liturgical translations which is easier to navigate and more affordable has been produced by the CTS. For more information go to www.ctsbooks.org/catechism.