IN ST COLUMBA'S PARISH
The Parish Office is open Wednesday and Thursday 10am to 12noon by appointment. Please phone - 01494 785269 - or email to check availability at other times. The email address for any general enquiries and information relating to the Parish is firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on an underlined item to open a particular document
25 Sunday of the Year B
23 September 2018
Mass at 9am and 6pm
To receive the E-Newsletter each week, just send “I want to receive the Newsletter” to: email@example.com. Opt-out the same way. Elements to include in the newsletter (short texts ready to publish / image) must be sent before Thursday Noon to: firstname.lastname@example.org
September is a Month of Prayer before the Eucharist – www.catholicnews.org.uk/adoremus2018. We ask God’s blessing for the National Eucharistic Pilgrimage and Congress 7-9 September
St Columba's parish quiz night will be held on Saturday 29th September at the Little Theatre by the Park in Church Street, Chesham. A fun opportunity to join your fellow parishioners and use your brain cells! Tickets on sale now.
Talks for the Diocese of Northampton Year of Prayer and Vocation at St Columba's Church
10 October: Prayer and Life in the Spirit
A charismatic Catholic reflection on prayer
17 October: A Carmelite Thought on Living Prayer
A Carmelite’s reflection on prayer
24 October: Meeting God in Friend and
Stranger- A Catholic Approach
A reflection on prayer by a lay prison chaplain
Date for your diary: further to our successful themed charity evenings over the past year, an Italian Night with Italian food, music and auction to fundraise for Ecuador is planned on Saturday 17th November at Our Lady’s school.
We welcome any donation for the raffle and silent auction to be held on the night!
CHILDREN YOUTH AND FAMILY CHOIR
We meet every Thursday 6:30-7:30pm
New members very welcome to come along - anyone (of any age!) who feels ‘young at heart’ - and join in with the singing.
Next practice on Thursday 20th September at 6.30-7.30pm
The next Mass with music led by the youth will be on Sunday 14th October at 6pm.
BIBLE REFLECTION GROUP
COME AS YOU ARE!
Join the Group and deepen the reflection on Sunday’s readings, every Monday at 7.30pm in the Church
“And the Word was with God, and the Word was God”
COME AND DANCE FLAMENCO !
on Tuesdays in the Church Hall at 8pm
Volunteers needed to support our Parish Community
"Many hands make light work!"
Gardening team - There is an established small team but a couple more people are now needed to help with the Church Gardens. So if you enjoy gardening and can give a little of your time please do consider volunteering.
Sacristy support - A couple of wonderful parishioners routinely clean the
candlesticks, chalices, candle stands and wash the Altar cloths. More volunteers are needed to support - just an hour a week - would be very welcome.
For more information please contact the parish secretary at
Change to weekday Mass From 1 October 2018
Two weekday Masses will be celebrated at both St Columba's and Immaculate Heart of Mary (IHM) Parishes as follows:
Mon: No Mass
Tues: 7pm - St Columba
Weds: 9:30am - IHM
Thurs: 9:30am - St Columba
Fri: 7pm - IHM
First Holy Communion 2019
Next year’s First Holy Communion classes will run from January to May 2019. Registrations are open from 2nd September until 18th November. 2018. Registration forms will be available from the parish office or in the narthex from September 2018 onwards and can be found by clicking here for a Word Version or here for a PDF Version.
A meeting for the parents of the First Holy Communion candidates will take place on Friday 23rd November in St Columba's church at7.30pm.
The First Holy Communion Preparation Course will start on Saturday 12th January 2019 from 12 noon to 1.15pm
The First Holy Communion Celebration will be on 18th May 2019 at 11am
Opportunities to inspire our students
CAFOD is inviting you to be part of our amazing education programme which inspires students to act on their sense of justice. A background in education is not necessary. We are looking for people with good interpersonal skills, a passion for CAFOD’s work and who can connect well with children and young people.
The volunteer will be asked to go into Catholic schools in the locality to deliver prepared assemblies and/or workshops about once a term. All necessary training, travel expenses and resources will be provided and you will have the ongoing support of a local team. Do get in touch to know more email@example.com
Parish Pilgrimage to Rome May 2019
For St Columba's and Immaculate Heart of Mary from Monday 6 to Sunday 12 May 2019 is fully booked.
Liturgy Commission Courses:
Children's Liturgy of the Word Course 6th October 2018. Annual meeting for all involved.
Readers' Reflection Day - 3 November 2018. An annual day for readers
More details and booking forms are on the notice board
Diocesan Year of Prayer and Vocation
a day retreat is being offered on Saturday 20th October 2018 10:30am for 11am start.
The retreat is based on the Book of Ruth - "Your God will be my God"
For more details see the poster on the notice board.
Our Diocese would like to keep you up to date with the latest news and information from Bishop Peter, the curial departments, our Catholic Cathedral in Northampton and our whole diocese. Each month you can receive this information through an e-newsletter. To subscribe simply visit the diocesan website, www.northamptondiocese.org and enter your email address in the box in the top right hand corner of the page
National Mass for Altar Servers in Westminster Cathedral
2:30pm on 6thOctober 2018 - all welcome
Servers should bring their vestments to the Cathedral Hall, Ambrosden Avenue and arrive in time for a procession into the Cathedral at 2pm
Usual Ordinary Weekday Mass Times See details on the Mass Times page
The Catholic community at St Columba's has held regular parish events. Some examples from the past include:
- August 2018 Mission to Ecuador
- July 2018 Bishop Peter celebrates Mass of Thanksgiving and Blessing of the Mission to Ecuador later in the month.
- YouthFest '18 - June 2018 saw the first Pastoral Area youth event in the paddoock behind Our Lady's Church. All the five parishes took park and enjoyed games, BBQ, live music and great company.
- Parsh Fair on the Feast of St Columba June 2018 including Mass, Certificates for the First Holy Communicants, Enrolement into the Altar Servers Guild, Celebrating 10 years of Altar Serving, recognising the parish Catechists.
- 'A Musical Christmas' the choirs of St Columba and the Immaculate Heart of Mary parishes joined together for an evening of musical entertainment, eclectic mix of Christmas carols, songs and show tunes.
- Parish Assembly 1 October 2017 - whole day event. Parishioners looked at how the parish can fulfill it's mission from a pastoral, liturgical and practical perspective.
- July 2017 Mass of Thanksgiving for the Parish and Parish party at St Columba's House.
- Parish Fun Day, 12 June 2017, to celebrate the Parishes Patronal Feast of St Columba. See report and pictures by clicking here
- Parish Assembly 29 January 2017 - whole day event. Over 100 people joined the Assembly and looked at how the parish can fulfill it's mission from a pastoral, liturgical and practical perspective. This exciting initiative will be followed up during the year.
- Induction of Father Alessandor Reno as priest in charge on Thursday 13 October 2016 in the presence of the Dean, Father Michael Spain, representing Bishop Peter. Also in attendacne were Fr Andy Ollard, Deacon John Crowshaw and represntatives of Churches Together for Chesham. Father Alessandor made a profession of faith and an oath of fidelity.
- The 2016 Backpackers event, a Christian adventure for young people (5-11 years) run and supported by Churches Together in Chesham took place at the end of July. It offered the children of Chesham 4 days of great fun & excitement in a Christian environment; exposing the children to the great news of Jesus Christ and showing them that being a Christian is not dull! A great sucesss and sense of community.
- July 2016 Parish tea party at St Columba's House. Parishioners of all ages enjoyed a fantastic afternoon of food, fun, music and dancing.
- Mercy in Today's World a series fo talks celebrating the year of Mercy: 'A God of Mercy', 'A Church of Mercy', 'A Life of Mercy' June 2016.
- Churches Together for Chesham Lent Lectures 2016 - 'Living Today' given by national figures across 5 Wednesdays.
- The Magic Toyshop by Chesham Bois Catholic Players at the Elgiva Theatre 21 - 24 January 2016.
- Advent reflection on Thursday 17 December 2015 was a prayerful and restful experience. An evening of reflection and contemplative music in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. The focus was the Jubilee Year of Mercy and what we can learn from the love and grace of those with special needs.
- 'The Gift' - Life in the Spirit a series of talks aimed at people of all ages to help them encounter the Holy Spirit and empower them to share their faith on Wednesday evenings in November and early December 2015 at St Joseph, Gerrards Cross was a most moving and prayerful time.
- Christmas by Candlelight at 7pm on Saturday December 5 2015 at the Church was a great success. Bishop Peter was present and blessed the new organ. The evening of sacred and secular music and readings, some serious and some light-hearted, was presented by the choir, the youth music group and the youth choir. The readings were presented by parishioners. The Church was full and a sense of love, community and friendship was palpable.
A further £1,150 was raised bringing the total so far to about £9,000. Thank you so much - only £4,000 needed to reach the total required of £13,000.
- A murder mystery fund raising dinner
- Hog roast celebration
Catechism of the Catholic Church. A new edition of the Catechism with the latest liturgical translations which is easier to navigate and more affordable has been produced by the CTS. For more information go to www.ctsbooks.org/catechism.